Taking Care of Your FRESH Tree
Want the best advice on taking care of your fresh tree from Hidden Pond Tree Farm? Here are some great tips when selecting and caring for a real Christmas tree:
1. If you’re not going to decorate your tree right away, place it in a container of water and store the tree in a cool, shaded area, sheltered from the wind, such as in a garage.
2. Before you bring your tree into the house, cut an inch from the stump. The fresh cut enables the tree to more readily take in water.
3. Place the tree in a tree stand filled with one quart of water for every inch in diameter of the tree trunk. The average six-foot tree has a trunk with a four-inch diameter, meaning the tree stand should hold one gallon of water.
4. Always keep the tree stand filled with water. Fresh-cut trees absorb a pint to a quart of water each day. Check the water level daily and always keep it above the cut end of the tree.
5. Keep your tree away from heat and draft sources like fireplaces, radiators and television sets. Be sure your light cords and connections are in good working order. Unplug lights before you go to bed or leave the house.
6. Real Christmas trees are biodegradable, which means they can be easily reused or recycled for mulch and other purposes. Contact your county recycling office for information on their tree recycling program.